Monday, March 16, 2009

Bottarga


The finished product. Note the Wrapmaster 1000 in the background.

In doing research for something I've already forgotten, I stumbled upon a blog with a tiny little link to a San Francisco based fish restaurant. What struck my eye was a small piece written by the chef on his experiments with cured fish roe. No recipes though. After some more research, I learnt that cured fish roes are considered delicacies in many parts of the world, most notably around the Mediterranean and in Japan and Korea. In the Mediterranean area it's called, more or less, depending on where, bottarga. Or botargo. Or similar. Furthermore, I learnt that it's easy to make, and it's delicious in tiny quantities. The thing is, it's very salty and should be considered a spice, not a food. It serves the same purpose as for example Thai fish sauce, preserved anchovies and shrimp paste; It provides the scent of the sea and copious amounts of umami. Too much, and you'll be sick.

Since my trusty cod roe is cheap and plentiful around these times, I bought two beautiful roe sacks and went ahead with the bottarga project. A few days later the roe sacks had lost most of their fluids and dried up to something reminiscent of cross between a shoe sole and the tongue of a dead dog. But apart from that, it had the scent of a fresh sea breeze in early May. My bottarga was ready and I had a taste. What a beautiful thing! Next thing I know, I'm making a quick pasta with sauce of a mixture of olive oil, garlic, a bit of red chili pepper and a small amount of finely grated bottarga, slowly simmered on a low heat while the pasta cooks. Drain the pasta, pour on the oil, add a generous amount of racket or fresh spinach, mix and enjoy. The whole procedure takes 20 min and tastes absolutely brilliant.

Bottarga

Small grained fish roe in the sack
coarse sea salt
sugar
olive oil

  • Day 1: Make a brine with 10% salt, 5% sugar, and soak the roe sacks in the brine for 24 h.
  • Day 2: Remove the sacks from the brine, pat dry, and oil them carefully. Place some paper towels on a plate, sprinkle generously with coarse sea salt and place the roe sacks on top. Sprinkle generously with more salt, and leave to cure in a cool and dry place. Don't put them in the fridge, nor on top of the fridge. I kept mine on the window still.
  • Day 3: Replace the wet paper towels and add more salt.
  • Day 4: If the paper towels are wet, replace them and the salt.
  • Day 5: The bottarga should be more or less ready, and the towels dry. If not repeat the procedure.
When the roes stop leaking fluids and have become hard, transfer to a suitable container and place in the fridge. From what I have heard, they will harden more and more with time, and will remain good for a year or so.

5 comments:

  1. What is the scale of that photograph? I don't have a lot of up close and personal experience with whole cod; are those the roe sacks? How big are they?
    vandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vandy! The picture shows the whole (but cut) row sack of a medium sized cod. The size of the row sack varies with the size of the fish, but they are usually 15-30 cm long, weighing up to a 1 kg.
    Since it's currently high season for cod row, I'm currently experimenting with different techniques of producing cod row bottarga. The other day I got 10 small row sacks for free from the fish monger! I'll post more on my experiments when I have some results :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing valuable information. Nice post. I enjoyed reading this post. The whole blog is very nice found some good information here Thanks..Also visit my page where to buy bottarga Our Website Arax Group is designed to provide insight about Bottarga,Gray Mullet Roe,Mugil Cephalus,Sardinian Italian Bottarga,Egyptian Dry Bottarga.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today, it is possible to find Bottarga all around the world. Now in St. Petersburg you can easily Where To Buy Bottarga
    at our store Lizshamirian Bottarga .

    ReplyDelete