Saturday, April 4, 2009

A quiet Saturday



The plan for today was to a) go skiing, or b) fly tandem. Neither worked out. Plan a) went down the drain because I didn't go to bed until 4 a.m. in a good mood, and b) was canceled by a snowstorm. So instead I shopped food and wine for 1300 kr (!), had coffee at Perez, cleaned the house, baked bread and made dinner. Originally I planned to spend some quality time with myself and just relax, but since food tastes so much better in good company I decided to send out an invitation. I got lucky too, since the ever so wonderful Charlie accepted my invitation. And not only that, she brought a bottle of exquisite port. On the menu was an assortment of sushi, since the fish monger had very fresh and good quality salmon today. For desert we had cofee, port and dates filled with mascarpone and dusted with chocolate powder.

4 comments:

  1. Impressive. Not the 1300,- but the meal that came from it. All in your head, or do you use cookbooks in a (un)systematic way? Any favourites? I really need to attend a baking course. Maybe you should start one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :) I have been making sushi for probably 10 years. This time I ran out of nori and had to stretch things a bit, so some of the makis are a bit exploded ;)
    I read a lot of cookbooks. But, I quite seldom use cookbooks directly, except when learning a new technique or when I have not used some particular method or recipe for a long time. Currently my favorite books are "Nose to tail eating" by Fergus Henderson, and everything by Heston Blumenthal. Heston's "Family food" is absolutely brilliant. Madeleine Kamman's "The new making of a cook" is also a long time favorite.
    I'm working on a bread seminar, which will be entitled something like "The chemistry, physics and craft of bread baking; A practical workshop" ;) I'll let you know when it's ready, but progress is unfortunately slow because I'm so busy all the time (cooking).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ser gott ut... Var får du tag på eltejp (aka nori) till maki? ICA?

    / Erik Tellgren

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hej Erik! Undvik alla sushitillbehör av märket Blue Dragon. Dom suger illa. Jag köper allt av sushistuff hos min lokala "arab", dvs. International Matsenter :) I Oslo finns det säkert 100 bra butiker.

    ReplyDelete